Skip to main content

Shakshouka | Eggs in spicy Tomato Sauce


Habits are quite situational! I hate waking up early mornings although I know that's the best part of the day and would love to inculcate the habit of waking up early. Having said that, do not mistake me to be a person who wakes up at 9 am! I am up before 7!Ain't that good enough :P However, I surprise myself on trips, I become an early riser. I love those early morning walks and that peace it gives! The part of Dubai I stay in has a serious dearth of such good and peaceful places for a morning walk which makes me think would the presence of such a place in the neighborhood make me an early riser (**thinking**)

The next best thing that could happen in the morning is an amazing breakfast. Eggs form an integral component of the breakfast table. When you can have a wholesome egg dish with just a slice of bread to wipe away the final gravy - yumm! Mornings are made!

kitchenspells.blogspot.com


That is Shakshouka to me - it makes an amazing dinner too! Its a dish popular in the Middle east and African region - debate is still on for the country of origin.
Here is the recipe -

kitchenspells.blogspot.com


Ingredients
  1. Eggs - 3
  2. Onions ( purple or white) - 1 large finely chopped
  3. Garlic - 2 tbsp finely chopped
  4. Tomato - 4 large
  5. Cumin powder - 1 tsp
  6. Chilly powder - 1 and 1/2 tsp
  7. Pickled jalapeno - 1 to 2 tbsp chopped ( optional)
  8. Capsicum - 1/4 cup chopped
  9. Tomato sauce - 2 tbsp
  10. Coriander leaf - 1/4 cup chopped loosely packed
  11. Bread crumbs - 2 tbsp ( optional)
  12. Salt to taste
  13. Olive oil
Method
  • Roughly chop the tomatoes and blend them.
  • Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Add the chopped onions and garlic. Cook until it wilts.
  • Add cumin powder and chilly powder. Cook them well.
  • Add the tomato puree along with salt. Cook it covered until the tomato is well cooked and begins to reduce slightly. This may take about 10 minutes on low flame.
  • Pour in tomato sauce and add the capsicum and jalapeno. Cook for another minute or two before adding the chopped coriander leaf, save some for garnish.
  • Break open eggs into bowls and slowly drop them into the tomato sauce spacing them well.  Sprinkle the bread crumbs over this and cook it covered till a white layer forms over the egg yolk. The egg yolk needs to remain slightly runny.
  • Garnish with corriander leaf.
  • Serve immediately with toasted bread!
You may also note - 
  • In case you do not intend to serve immediately. Make only the gravy and add the eggs just 5 minutes before serving.
  • The egg tends to cook and harden in the heat if left for too long before serving

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traversing the Deutschland-Frankfurt on foot

No better way to explore a new place than on foot - soaking in the ethereal rays of the sun and the gentle breeze setting the tone for the late afternoon, we set out to explore the pristine town of Frankfurt along River Main. Half a day in Frankfurt was all we had, nevertheless, we managed to comfortably traverse the city and all we wanted to see and do in 6 hours. Given that we visited Frankfurt in the end of April, the weather ranged from 6 to 20 degree, warm clothing is always recommended. Setting out from the B&B Hotel in Frankfurt, we headed in the direction of the river. A city along the banks of a river, gives the place a special charm, atleast that what I think! Every travel brings about new revelations. I come from a place where there is no dearth for sunlight and hence, probably do not value it enough and here I was at a place where the glorious sun presents itself in its full glory once a while. The green pastures along the banks of the river had people sleeping shirtles

Karahi Gosht/ Mutton Karahi

A perfect thriller makes my day and night too! A good book in hand and the literature within the levels of my understanding, then I have the potential of forgetting just about every thing around me - you will see me in the company of the book in the kitchen too. I may burn a chapatti or two in the go. I spent a major chunk of my single days immersed in such books and I had a perfect roommate for company. Our love for thrillers and mystery extended to television shows as well - Savdhaan India on Life Ok and Crime Patrol on Sony TV were hot favorites.  Both these shows end with the charming hosts signing off  saying - Be Cautious!! Our cautiousness extended to a level were both of us doubted everything we saw and heard. So negative was the impact that we decided to stop watching these series and stick to books which were more of fictitious work than reality. My married days are no better - both of us love the same kind of book and we had membership in the same chain of library - Jus

Baked Sesame Chicken Wings

I do have the habit of omitting certain words or sentences when I read up on something. Be it book, article or a recipe, which is probably why I finish reading quite fast. Pick up a book and if it really interests me - I could finish it in under a day but then, there is a catch to it - in my hurry to reach the fag bottom of the book - I miss names of certain characters, places and trust me at times even events that unfold. As the book progresses, if a reference is made to the part I unknowingly omitted (God forbid that happen), I am at total loss.  Now, my husband knows why I finish reading books in half the time he takes! I wouldn't say this is a great habit of mine because as the saying goes Half knowledge is dangerous . I have got into my own trouble with this. That set aside, when it comes to reading recipes I have had my good days and bad days. Good ones are when despite not following the recipe word by word - I end up with a recipe I created and the taste delights and