Skip to main content

Sweet Stuffed Naan

With mothers day around the corner it is only apt that I write about my mom today. If my dad happens to read this write up about mom, he is going to be upset that I did not mention him and he says they come as a package. There is no mom or dad individually but dad and mom together. So I do not have a choice but write about the whole package:) My sister can wait!

I do not wish to pen down the whole story here but few things which I feel every parent should do that I learnt from my parents. Like every parent, they struggled to ensure that we have a good life. We are two - me and my sis both of us are away from home, there is always an empty nest feeling but they don't let that become a hindrance in life. They do go out for dinner just like we did when we were together as a family. They have their occasional trip to beaches and drives to Mangalore as well. It is ok to have your life revolving around your kids but have a life of your own too when life allows you that.

Grades do not determine your child's future, so do not scold or spank them for getting low grades. The child will never learn anything from that. Despite being professors themselves my parents have never reprimanded us even once for low grades in school. As mom always tells - Its fine to get low grades because I know you did try. But if ever I see you walking around not studying and then come to me with a low grades then this is not the mom you are going to see.

I participated in elocution competition from grade 1 to grade 10 and never once won a prize. I almost quit in standard 8 but my dad kept me going - he wrote me speeches and I went and presented. The first time I ever won was a third place when I was in Class 12. I have never looked back since then - I went on to win many more prizes in college only because my dad never let me quit despite not winning - he saw in me what I probably never realised. He always encouraged and praised me even if my performance wasn't great which was a great motivator. And my mom went on to be my critic - she was realistic said good when it was good and bad when it was bad. So a combination of the motivator and the critic is the reason for many of my small success stories in my career.

kitchenspells.blogspot.com

My recipe for today is Sweet stuffed naan, a combination of two flavors - Sweetness rendered by the condensed milk and the spice quotient from the chilli. Just like the sweet me :P and the two important people in my life who made me ME!

Recipe adapted from the Friday Magazine

Ingredients
  1. All purpose flour - 1½ cup
  2. Instant Yeast - 1 tsp
  3. Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
  4. Black sesame seeds - 1 tbsp (optional)
  5. Yogurt - 1/4 cup
  6. Sweetened condensed milk - 50 ml
  7. Egg - 1
  8. Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp
  9. salt
Filling
  1. Onion - 2 medium finely chopped
  2. Dessicated coconut - 1 cup
  3. Green Chilly - 2 finely chopped
  4. Sweetened condensed milk - 2 tbsp
  5. Salt
Method
  • Combine the dry ingredients - flour, instant yeast, salt, sesame seeds and baking powder.
  • Bring together the wet ingredients in a bowl - yogurt, condensed milk and egg. Whisk them until well combined.
  • Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and slowly add the yogurt mix into this in batches mixing with a spatula on the go until they are well combined.
  • Tip it over on your work table and knead for about 5 to 10 minutes into a firm ball.
  • Smear a bowl with oil and place your dough into the bowl. Apply oil over the dough as well. Keep it covered with a cling film for 1 to 2 hours.
  • Meanwhile prepare the filling by mixing the chopped onions, dessicated coconut, finely chopped green chilly, sweetened condensed milk and salt. The condensed milk is to just bind the ingredients together.
  • After the dough has risen make smaller balls out of this ( approximately 6 with the above mentioned quantity)
  • Flatten the dough with your hand and scoop out a spoonful of the filling and place it at the center of the flattened dough. Bring together the edges of the flattened dough just like you would wrap a bundle and press it together. Use a little of water to hold this together. Roll it into a ball careful not to spill out the filling.
  • Dust this with a little flour and roll it out using a rolling pin into an oblong shape or you could do it with your hands as well. Just press it with your fingers to attain the desired shape.
  • Move it to a griller and let it grill on both the sides for a minute each or till the color begins to change and dark spots begin to appear.
  • Take it off the griller and brush with ghee on both the sides. 
  • The Naan is sweet and can be eaten on its own as it has a hint of spiciness too in every bite rendered by the green chilli.
kitchenspells.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traversing the Deutschland-Frankfurt on foot

No better way to explore a new place than on foot - soaking in the ethereal rays of the sun and the gentle breeze setting the tone for the late afternoon, we set out to explore the pristine town of Frankfurt along River Main. Half a day in Frankfurt was all we had, nevertheless, we managed to comfortably traverse the city and all we wanted to see and do in 6 hours. Given that we visited Frankfurt in the end of April, the weather ranged from 6 to 20 degree, warm clothing is always recommended. Setting out from the B&B Hotel in Frankfurt, we headed in the direction of the river. A city along the banks of a river, gives the place a special charm, atleast that what I think! Every travel brings about new revelations. I come from a place where there is no dearth for sunlight and hence, probably do not value it enough and here I was at a place where the glorious sun presents itself in its full glory once a while. The green pastures along the banks of the river had people sleeping shirtles

Karahi Gosht/ Mutton Karahi

A perfect thriller makes my day and night too! A good book in hand and the literature within the levels of my understanding, then I have the potential of forgetting just about every thing around me - you will see me in the company of the book in the kitchen too. I may burn a chapatti or two in the go. I spent a major chunk of my single days immersed in such books and I had a perfect roommate for company. Our love for thrillers and mystery extended to television shows as well - Savdhaan India on Life Ok and Crime Patrol on Sony TV were hot favorites.  Both these shows end with the charming hosts signing off  saying - Be Cautious!! Our cautiousness extended to a level were both of us doubted everything we saw and heard. So negative was the impact that we decided to stop watching these series and stick to books which were more of fictitious work than reality. My married days are no better - both of us love the same kind of book and we had membership in the same chain of library - Jus

Baked Sesame Chicken Wings

I do have the habit of omitting certain words or sentences when I read up on something. Be it book, article or a recipe, which is probably why I finish reading quite fast. Pick up a book and if it really interests me - I could finish it in under a day but then, there is a catch to it - in my hurry to reach the fag bottom of the book - I miss names of certain characters, places and trust me at times even events that unfold. As the book progresses, if a reference is made to the part I unknowingly omitted (God forbid that happen), I am at total loss.  Now, my husband knows why I finish reading books in half the time he takes! I wouldn't say this is a great habit of mine because as the saying goes Half knowledge is dangerous . I have got into my own trouble with this. That set aside, when it comes to reading recipes I have had my good days and bad days. Good ones are when despite not following the recipe word by word - I end up with a recipe I created and the taste delights and