Skip to main content

Peanut Chutney

Last week I came across this article on my favorite self-help blog - Tiny Buddha on how as adults we get so engrossed in the race of life that things that once sounded beautiful to us no longer evokes us in the same feelings. So, I guess it is time to step back unlearn this way of life and bring in a change that makes life more beautiful. I keep saying I am a person who finds happiness in every small thing in life. But do I really? May be not! Yet, it is never too late. So I have pulled up my socks and have begun viewing life differently and enjoying the tidbits that comprises life.
And you know what! Life does seem more beautiful since the past three days incorporating just the below - 
  1. Letting bygones be bygones.
  2. Every single thing in your life has a reason! So live it up to brim.
  3. Tomorrow has to come anyway, so quit worrying about it now!
Having said this - here is my recipe for the week Peanut Chutney straight out of my aunt's recipes! She always has this chutney bottled up and needless to say I always love eating spoonfuls right out of the bottle. It is perfect for week day breakfasts. Idli/Dosa and peanut chutney just perfect for tiffin boxes!

kitchenspells.blogspot.com

Here is the recipe - 

Ingredients
  1. Peanuts - 1 kg
  2. Garlic - 200 gm
  3. Curry Leaf - 1 sprig
  4. Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  5. Asafoetida powder - 1/4 tsp
  6. Chilly powder - 1 tbsp heaped
  7. Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
  8. Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
  9. Oil - 1 tbsp
  10. salt - to taste
Method
  • Dry roast the peanuts until cooked and set aside. You could peel the peanuts if you want to or it works well if you did not peel it as well.
  • Heat oil in a Kadai, add the mustard seeds and let it splutter.
  • Add the fenugreek seeds, chopped garlic and the curry leaves. Saute till the raw smell goes.
  • Sprinkle the asafoetida, chilly and turmeric powder and cook the masala. Toss in the groundnut and mix well.
  • Let this cool and add the required salt.
  • Grind the contents together till it coarsely done. I love to bite into bits of peanuts hence the coarse texture. You may grind it to fine powder as well.
  • Can be stored in a dry container for more than a month.
kitchenspells.blogspot.com

You may also note - 
  • DO NOT grind it for a long time as you may end up having peanut butter chutney:)
  • Increase the spice level to your taste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traversing the Deutschland-Frankfurt on foot

No better way to explore a new place than on foot - soaking in the ethereal rays of the sun and the gentle breeze setting the tone for the late afternoon, we set out to explore the pristine town of Frankfurt along River Main. Half a day in Frankfurt was all we had, nevertheless, we managed to comfortably traverse the city and all we wanted to see and do in 6 hours. Given that we visited Frankfurt in the end of April, the weather ranged from 6 to 20 degree, warm clothing is always recommended. Setting out from the B&B Hotel in Frankfurt, we headed in the direction of the river. A city along the banks of a river, gives the place a special charm, atleast that what I think! Every travel brings about new revelations. I come from a place where there is no dearth for sunlight and hence, probably do not value it enough and here I was at a place where the glorious sun presents itself in its full glory once a while. The green pastures along the banks of the river had people sleeping shirtles

Karahi Gosht/ Mutton Karahi

A perfect thriller makes my day and night too! A good book in hand and the literature within the levels of my understanding, then I have the potential of forgetting just about every thing around me - you will see me in the company of the book in the kitchen too. I may burn a chapatti or two in the go. I spent a major chunk of my single days immersed in such books and I had a perfect roommate for company. Our love for thrillers and mystery extended to television shows as well - Savdhaan India on Life Ok and Crime Patrol on Sony TV were hot favorites.  Both these shows end with the charming hosts signing off  saying - Be Cautious!! Our cautiousness extended to a level were both of us doubted everything we saw and heard. So negative was the impact that we decided to stop watching these series and stick to books which were more of fictitious work than reality. My married days are no better - both of us love the same kind of book and we had membership in the same chain of library - Jus

Baked Sesame Chicken Wings

I do have the habit of omitting certain words or sentences when I read up on something. Be it book, article or a recipe, which is probably why I finish reading quite fast. Pick up a book and if it really interests me - I could finish it in under a day but then, there is a catch to it - in my hurry to reach the fag bottom of the book - I miss names of certain characters, places and trust me at times even events that unfold. As the book progresses, if a reference is made to the part I unknowingly omitted (God forbid that happen), I am at total loss.  Now, my husband knows why I finish reading books in half the time he takes! I wouldn't say this is a great habit of mine because as the saying goes Half knowledge is dangerous . I have got into my own trouble with this. That set aside, when it comes to reading recipes I have had my good days and bad days. Good ones are when despite not following the recipe word by word - I end up with a recipe I created and the taste delights and