Skip to main content

Boli/Holige/Puran Poli/Indian Sweet Flatbread

I am not much of a sweet tooth, neither is Soumya, my sister. Despite this, one sweet dish that both of us would love to snack on is Boli or Holige as it is called in Karnataka. Boli and a splash of warm milk is just beyond yum. 

My sister often comments on my good memory, be it with the dates or my ability to connect different incidents and the day it happened. My memory with food is not bad either. That gives me the right to comment on my Boli memories as well. Boli is a snack that my father often buys from local bakery and I loved taking it to Bangalore during my college days. More recently on our visit to India, my sister introduced this to Shibin as well. He loved it too which inspired me to try out this snack.  

Boli is made of All Purpose Flour/Maida. To make it more healthier, I tried out the with wheat flour. Not much of a difference in recipe, just replace maida with wheat flour.

kitchenspells.blogspot.com


There it is the recipe -

Ingredients

  1. Wheat Flour/ All purpose Flour - 1 cup
  2. Bengal gram dal/kadala parippu - 1 cup
  3. Jaggery - 1 cup grated
  4. Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
  5. Ghee - 3 to 4 tbsp
  6. Rice Flour - to roll
  7. Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  8. Salt
  9. Water
Method

Pressure cook the Bengal gram dal in a little water till soft. Do not overcook. Drain the water and grind it till a smooth paste. 

In a saucepan, heat 2 tbsp ghee and add the gram paste, grated jaggery and cardamom powder. Roast it till the water drains out, the color changes and the mixture holds together. Roll this into lemon size balls and keep aside.

In a separate bowl, add the flour, pinch of salt, turmeric powder and slowly pour warm water. Use a fork to mix this gently. Keep it covered for 15 minutes till the moisture holds together. Uncover and make dough out of this. Roll this also into lemon size balls. Rub your hands in a little ghee, in case you find it difficult to make the dough.

Lightly roll the dough balls into sheets and place the gram mixture balls onto this. Bring together the edges of the sheet using water to hold this together until the gram mixture balls are completely covered.

Flatten this with your hand and turn it over on rice flour. Using a rolling pin roll out sheets like chapati, apply more rice flour in case the dough sticks on.

Heat a pan and place the rolled out sheets on the pan on medium heat for a minute. Flip it over and let the other side also get cooked. Add ghee to either sides and flip it over twice more. Transfer to a plate and serve with a cup of milk.

Generally. Boli is served along with payasam/kheer. But trust us milk is an excellent replacement!

kitchenspells.blogspot.com





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traversing the Deutschland-Frankfurt on foot

No better way to explore a new place than on foot - soaking in the ethereal rays of the sun and the gentle breeze setting the tone for the late afternoon, we set out to explore the pristine town of Frankfurt along River Main. Half a day in Frankfurt was all we had, nevertheless, we managed to comfortably traverse the city and all we wanted to see and do in 6 hours. Given that we visited Frankfurt in the end of April, the weather ranged from 6 to 20 degree, warm clothing is always recommended. Setting out from the B&B Hotel in Frankfurt, we headed in the direction of the river. A city along the banks of a river, gives the place a special charm, atleast that what I think! Every travel brings about new revelations. I come from a place where there is no dearth for sunlight and hence, probably do not value it enough and here I was at a place where the glorious sun presents itself in its full glory once a while. The green pastures along the banks of the river had people sleeping shirtles

Karahi Gosht/ Mutton Karahi

A perfect thriller makes my day and night too! A good book in hand and the literature within the levels of my understanding, then I have the potential of forgetting just about every thing around me - you will see me in the company of the book in the kitchen too. I may burn a chapatti or two in the go. I spent a major chunk of my single days immersed in such books and I had a perfect roommate for company. Our love for thrillers and mystery extended to television shows as well - Savdhaan India on Life Ok and Crime Patrol on Sony TV were hot favorites.  Both these shows end with the charming hosts signing off  saying - Be Cautious!! Our cautiousness extended to a level were both of us doubted everything we saw and heard. So negative was the impact that we decided to stop watching these series and stick to books which were more of fictitious work than reality. My married days are no better - both of us love the same kind of book and we had membership in the same chain of library - Jus

Baked Sesame Chicken Wings

I do have the habit of omitting certain words or sentences when I read up on something. Be it book, article or a recipe, which is probably why I finish reading quite fast. Pick up a book and if it really interests me - I could finish it in under a day but then, there is a catch to it - in my hurry to reach the fag bottom of the book - I miss names of certain characters, places and trust me at times even events that unfold. As the book progresses, if a reference is made to the part I unknowingly omitted (God forbid that happen), I am at total loss.  Now, my husband knows why I finish reading books in half the time he takes! I wouldn't say this is a great habit of mine because as the saying goes Half knowledge is dangerous . I have got into my own trouble with this. That set aside, when it comes to reading recipes I have had my good days and bad days. Good ones are when despite not following the recipe word by word - I end up with a recipe I created and the taste delights and